The NUgene Project is a genomic biobank sponsored by the Center for Genetic Medicine at Northwestern University in partnership with Northwestern Medicine. NUgene collects and stores DNA samples and associated health information from patients at Northwestern Medicine-affiliated hospitals and clinics to be used by researchers to examine the role genes play in the development and treatment of common diseases. The health information collected is both self-reported and periodically obtained from the participant’s electronic medical record at Northwestern. The NUgene Project is IRB (Institutional Review Board) approved and compliant with HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act). NUgene is committed to protecting the privacy of individual participants and the confidentiality of their data.
How Can The NUgene Project Help My Research?
With over 13,000 samples and data on Northwestern patients available to use in research, The NUgene Project can provide you with:
- Case and/or control DNA samples from the NUgene Population to use for research
- Data, from both the electronic health record and a self-reported health history questionnaire, on NUgene participants with or without accompanying DNA sample and/or genotyped data
- Assistance with recruiting your patients for inclusion in the NUgene Project
- Templated language about using NUgene samples to assist with IRB approval and/or grant submissions
- Access to NUgene participants for study-related questions or participation in other studies
- Genomic analysis data on select participants
The NUgene Project has collaborated with investigators both within Northwestern Medicine and with other research institutions across the country in genomic research projects.
Accessing NUgene Project samples requires approvals from the NUgene Sample Advisory Committee and Northwestern University’s IRB. It is strongly recommended to speak with the Director of the NUgene Project, Maureen Smith, prior to an IRB submission to help incorporate the appropriate NUgene information into your proposal.
Please contact Maureen Smith at (312) 503-6211 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about using NUgene samples, data, and/or pricing.
NUgene Project Director
Maureen Smith, MS
Director, Assistant Professor
645 N. Michigan Avenue
Telephone: (312) 503-6200
Fax: (312) 503-7166